the grand view university outstanding academic advising award is presented to a staff or faculty member who exhibits, through academic advising, a strong commitment to student success.
any staff or faculty member who currently advises students at grand view university. an individual may earn this award more than one time.
candidates for the award will be determined through peer and/or student nomination process. the president and the provost will review nominations and make final decisions regarding award designees. an award will be granted only if an outstanding nominee is identified.
the criteria for the award are as follows and nomination letters should address as many criteria as possible:
- strong interpersonal skills
- availability to advisees in a variety of settings
- frequent contact with advisees
- appropriate referral activity
- use and dissemination of appropriate information sources
- evidence of advisee success
- caring, helpful attitude toward advisees
- participation in and support of proactive advising to build strong relationships with advisees
- monitoring of advisee progress toward academic and career goals
- mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- ability to engage in, promote, and support developmental advising by guiding advisees’ discernment of life purpose
- participation in and support of advisor development programs
awardees are not required to satisfy all of the criteria identified above. additional supporting documentation regarding the nominee could include: advising load, advising evaluations, advisee letters of support, and/or other information provided by colleagues working closely with the nominee and/or the director of academic advising.
the outstanding academic advising award is presented at the annual honor’s convocation and includes for faculty a $2,333 monetary award plus $1,000 in faculty development funds. staff will have the option to take the full monetary award of $3,333 or $2,333 and $1,000 in staff development funds.